Thursday, August 09, 2007

From Baxter

I know all of you who took Nancy's workshop still have Charles Baxter's Burning Down the House. I dusted off my copy to revisit a few of his gems. Here's one of 'em from On Defamiliarization that addresses emotion in fiction:

"The fallacy of much fiction is that in any particular moment we are feeling one emotion, when in fact we are feeling many emotions at once, many of them contradictory, such as lust and gloom. But of course lust and gloom often go together, as do depression and cheerfulness. What is a bored ecstasy like? What does one feel in the midst of pessemistic hope? Is there such a thing as furious tenderness? Why are so many psychopaths lovable? The monsters we have all known in our lives are monsters almost by definition because they are often not monsters, and we expect them to be one way, and they turn out to be another. That's why we admitted them into our lives in the first place.

"Psychopaths, afterall, are great charmers. Bad people are good people who have gone on a sort of lifelong spiritual vacation, and who remember to be decent from time to time.

"....Instead of making our narrative events and our characters more colorful, we might make them thicker, more undecidable, more contradictory and unrecognizable."

5 comments:

Jesmyn Ward, writer said...

hi mister mowdy; we're such a tag-team duo when it comes to posting. lol. i haven't read burning down the house. that's sacrilege, isn't it? (i was in nick's workshop--but you already know that.) i'm going to amazon for it today; your quote on defamiliarization is letting me know that this is a book i need in my life.

robotdinosaurswithhumanhearts said...

thanks for posting this passage, mister. it reminded me of how excellent that book is. i just got a (free!) copy of "The Art of Subtext: Beyond Plot" by Mr. Baxter and am excited to read it, though the cover makes me dizzy. More exciting, still, though, is action from the robots! woo-hoo.

bizness said...

that was me, bizness, above as well. i logged in as robot to make my contribution to the resuscitation of the blog by adding a picture of a scary roadside dinosaur. (if any other robot has any photos or fonts they want to see here, feel free to log in as the administrator (e-mail me for the password) or e-mail me your desired visual excitement and i'll see what i can do.)

also, now you can go directly to robotdinosaurswithhumanhearts.com and get here! no need to ever use the word blog again!

Jesmyn Ward, writer said...

how did you do that, ellie? have you morphed into a computer genius? are you writing code or someting? how did you get over the use of the word blog? i can only hobble between the same sorry templates, and here you are designing them.

maybe this is a private question.

cheesewithaspoon said...

I hate blogger! It is no longer letting me post on this blog. I have a very important thing to share and I don't know how to post so I'll just share it here:

http://www.michaelkelly.fsnet.co.uk/karl.htm

Er I don't mean to distract from the discussion of Baxter but I thought you all needed to see that.