Monday, October 31, 2005

continuing the pattern of pasting meta-commentary from responses/reactions into actual posts

I already posted this as a comment, but figured I'd a) follow bizness's lead, b) take this opportunity to one-up/ get the goat of said bizness (2200 miles not able to keep me from doing what I do best) and c) affirm what I said in the comment. Because I think it's so important. Also because I'm right. Anyway, here it is:
and am more than happy to read tips and tricks for keeping those ladybirdbeetle monsters out of the house.

It seems, rather, that what we've got here is a pretty special compilation of voices, and perhaps this compilation of talent and intellect would be mitigated by the discussion of trifles? I don't know about you all, but I log on to this blog (frequently, as can already be gleaned) for a specific kind of salve and balm, go to the trouble of digitally traveling to this specific place because I want my mind to be torqued and piqued in specifically, and yes exclusively, literary ways. I go to other places to gossip and chat--as I'm sure do you--and it seems, in my life at least, that these places, the chatty ones, outnumber the literary ones, which I believe we're trying to cultivate, and should.

So my two cents to starrykick are this: I would love to hear any and all literary updates from your tired brain, even if they're merely observational (of culture, society, politics, philosophy), and the only thing 'literary' about them is the way they're presented. Also more academic arguments are acceptable (to me, at least, although I will join bizness's chorus and adjure that they not be arguments the students themselves would make).

Here, how about this as a loose guideline: let's make this a sort of online Harper's, or better yet Believer, minus the interviews. Thought-provoking, insightful, (inciteful), witty, stylish. And, eminently, the work of writers. Because that is who we are. Because this, of all things in our lives, is what we cannot avoid.

No comments: