Friday, November 03, 2006

Three Questions

Ha! No one wants to be the first to answer Starrykick's summons. But the thought of her sitting before this moribund blog in her windowless office is so sad, people, isn't it sad? Isn't it? Where is everyone?

1) Has anyone read Kathryn Davis before? She had a brief mention in a sort-of-recent New Yorker and I got curious and started reading excerpts on Amazon. They are weird and wonderful. If anyone has actually read her, perhaps you can tell me if I should read something of hers from start to finish, and if so, what (please keep in mind that reading something from start to finish is a RARE and MAJOR commitment for me).

2) Has anyone every noticed how easy it is for a dog to look like a gangsta rapper if you put it in a hooded sweatshirt?

3) Does anyone else here read Tomato Nation, in particular the letters to the advice columnist(s)? A visiting friend who shall remain unnamed just introduced me to the website. Well, they were PRETENDING to be a friend, but I think they must be secretly plotting my ruin, because why else would anyone foist yet another addiction upon me? I mean, how could anyone have expected notoriously week-willed me to resist the variegated temptations of an unlimited reservoir of human foolishness on public display? Such great fodder for nightmares, indigestion, and stories, if I wrote them. I particularly recommend the letter about the roommate with the prolapsed anus.

5 comments:

Percy said...

I, too, have heard good things about K Davis. And isn't she dead? Not that that matters....

Also -- and I'm sorry to you and all that I have to keep this so short and trappist but I have to run, have a red-eye to catch -- in answer to a question you didn't ask, advice you didn't solicit, why don't you try Kelly Link if you're looking for weird/beautiful? I think I may have brought her up before. Kelly Link. Her first collection, Stranger Things Happen, is the only I can recommend without reservation (though there are a few skippers in there (but hey, you didn't want to commit all the way anyway, now did you?)).

Charlotte said...

I LOVE the Kelly Link story "Stone Animals" in her second book Magic For Beginners as well as in the Best American 2005. In fact, I love in so much that I had trouble getting through the rest of Magic because all the rest of the stories weren't "Stone Animals".

Toochi said...

And I, too, resemble a gansta rapper, or at least someone more tough and mysterious, cloaked in a hooded sweatshirt.

I remember one of our MFA workshops reading Kathryn Davis (though not mine), and people either loving her or hating her. I think she does very interesting, experimental stuff with story and narrative, perhaps?

Cristina Henriquez, anyone? I've been reading her newish collection and like it very much.

cheese with a spoon said...

Yes, I've read the Cristina Henriquez stories in the New Yorker and liked them. A lot more than most stories I read in the New Yorker :-) .

cheese with a spoon said...

P.S. Youpeople, no, K. Davis isn't dead. _The Thin Place_ just came out this year.